Search This Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Oh Bring Me Some Figgy Pudding..

We are back from our trip to New Hampshire and are in full Christmas mode, making a last stop (actually a third and fourth but whose counting!) to get all of our goodies to make our Christmas meal and all of the ingredients for Santa's cookies. The items I am making are the traditional green bean casserole (which is Scots and my favorite side dish) and Pioneer Woman's yukon gold mashed potatoes. We also wanted to serve "Donna's Punch" as we call Scot's moms punch recipe, and I also wanted to serve a relish tray with cheese and crackers, and cheese straws to munch on as appetizers. My sweet mom and Grannie made the rest, so that really helped out!

Baking and making cookies was one of the things I remembered always doing with my mom as a child, so it was something special that I wanted to pass on to my children as well. After Ryder was born it was one of the things during each holiday that I couldn't wait for him to help! For Christmas this year, I found a recipe for chocolate whoopie pies since he seems to be very taken with chocolate lately. While Scot was busy getting other things around the house done, I had Ryder come in the kitchen with me to get started on our baking!
I found this recipe in a southern living magazine, but it was for peppermint and I omitted the peppermint because even though they looked pretty and festive, I didn't think Ryder would enjoy it in his chocolate cookies! Ryder really liked the beater and LOVED helping me whip the ingredients together. Since we had made traditional sugar cookies earlier in the month, using some of the Christmas cookie cutters and icing them, I decided to skip them and opted for something a little different.




mmm.. and licking icing is one of the best parts of it all too! (there wasn't any egg in the icing recipe) oh.. and I also added a little whipping cream to the icing recipe because the marshmallow fluff seemed to be too thick as I was mixing. It tasted so good though, and I could have sat there with a plate of just the icing myself! I think Ryder was the judge- ha!










Going back for seconds..



No comments: